COMMENTATOR: Jim Ross
With The Great American Bash an hour away this week’s Main Event…doesn’t super focus on it but they talk about it a little. More importantly is that there’s CHAMPIONSHIP GOLD on the line as “Stunning” Steve Austin defends the Television Title against PN News.
- WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: Vacant
- WCW UNITED STATES HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: “The Total Package” Lex Luger
- WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION: “Stunning” Steve Austin
- WCW WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott Steiner)
- WCW UNITED STATES TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael “P.S.” Hayes & Jimmy “Jam” Garvin)
- WCW WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael “P.S.” Hayes, Jimmy “Jam” Garvin, & Badstreet)
- The York Foundation vs. Larry Santo, Jim Boss, & Greg Sawyer
- THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH CONTROL CENTER w/ Paul E. Dangerously
- Diamond Studd vs. Scotty Williams
- THE DANGER ZONE w/ Paul E. Dangerously, One Man Gang, & Kevin Sullivan
- Big Josh & Tom Zenk vs. Mark Kyle & Tim Frye
- Steve Austin [c] vs. PN News for the WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP (*3/4)
-Ross and Missy Hyatt welcome the home audience, hyping tonight’s Great American Bash PPV which happens in less than an hour. Hyatt isn’t worried that her partner Rick Steiner isn’t 100% because they have a couple of secret weapons for Paul E. Dangerously.
The York Foundation (“The Computerized Man of the 1990s” Terrence Taylor, Richard Morton, & Mr. Hughes) [w/ Alexandra York] defeated Larry Santo, Jim Boss, & Greg Sawyer when Hughes pinned Sawyer followed by a chokeslam throw (3:05)
- Ross teases that York Foundation will increase their numbers in the future. I wonder who’ll join. Jonathan B. Badd? Steven Austin? Big Joshua?
- Taylor and Morton sets it up, Hughes knocks ‘em down.
THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH CONTROL CENTER
Dangerously hypes Luger/Windham in a Cage Match for the vacant World Heavyweight Championship. This affects the OTHER cage match, as now the six-person contest scheduled originally is a tag team affair as Rick Steiner teams with Missy Hyatt against Arn Anderson & Dangerously. Rest of the card is hyped as well, Richard Morton and Robert Gibson have some comments about their singles match against one another. Comments from Barry Windham who tells Lex Luger to be ready for the battle of his life because he will prove he is the next World Heavyweight Champion.
The Diamond Studd [w/ Diamond Dallas Page] defeated Scotty Williams via pinfall with the Diamond Death Drop (2:20)
- Ross announces that the Scaffold Match is going to open The Great American Bash. Gonna get the accidental death out of the way early, I see.
-CLIP: Diamond Studd strips Z-Man out of his tux (WCW – 6.22.91)
IN-RING SEGMENT: THE DANGER ZONE
Paul E. Dangerously welcomes his guests, One Man Gang and Kevin Sullivan. Gang has a styrofoam head on a stick covered in El Gigante’s hair. Dangerously recaps their attack of Gigante as the folks at home see a video clip. Sullivan says that the “watchers” have given them the job of ridding WCW of liars, vermin, & scum like Gigante, who lies about being the true giant of WCW. Sullivan recounts his meeting with the LADY OF THE THIRD EYE and says they’re not coming for Gigante’s hair next time; they’re coming for his head.
Big Josh & “The Z-Man” Tom Zenk defeated Mark Kyle & Tim Frye when Zenk made Kyle pass out in a sleeperhold (2:16)
- Zenk & Josh are both in action tonight at the Bash, the former against Diamond Studd and the latter in a Lumberjack Match against Black Blood.
- I am NOT on board with Z-Man using a sleeperhold as a finisher and will be mad every time I see it.
-Ross predicts Barry Windham will win the World Title match tonight due to experience, Hyatt picks Lex Luger because he’s hot or some sh*t. She’s probably not wrong though, to be honest.
“Stunning” Steve Austin [c] [w/ Lady Blossom] vs. “The Rapmaster” PN News for the WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
This is News’ first shot at singles gold after spending the past two months beating everyone in his path (jobbers, sure, but a win is a win is a win). Mention was made of a 10 minute time limit though so I’m a little nervous.
Austin gets thrown to the mat, he and Lady Blossom both complain of a hair pull. Ah the days when Steve Austin could do the ol’ hair pull complaint. Time is crazy. Austin runs into News, News doesn’t budge but he does dance a little bit. Ross hypes next week’s shows, correcting his southern accent by over pronouncing W-C-W. News blocks a hip toss, hits a pair of his own and takes the champ back to the mat with a side headlock takeover. Austin who[s News off, News cartwheels around a backdrop attempt and levels him with a clothesline for the 1…2…Austin kicks out and quickly bails to the floor to regroup. Austin shows off a cartwheel of his own but takes too long to gloat and he’s back to the floor courtesy of a dropkick to the back. Austin distracts the ref, Blossom rakes the eyes and Austin clobbers him from behind. Austin covers, News presses him off and surprises him with a sunset flip (!!!) but the champ is in the ropes. Austin connects with a short-arm clothesline that is both awkwardly thrown and awkwardly sold. Corner whip, Austin rolls into a shoulder to the midsection, News reverses an Irish whip and connects with a belly-to-belly suplex. News heads to the top and hits the RAP SPLASH for the 1…2…Blossom jumps on News’ back and the ref calls for the bell.
PN News defeated Steve Austin [c] via DQ; Austin retains the WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP (7:56)
- Not the prettiest belle at the ball but it got the job done. News throwing out sunset flips and cartwheels like nothing was a sight to see. The time limit being announced will ALWAYS make me nervous that it’s going to be a draw, glad it was a DQ instead. Subverted my expectation even though it probably shouldn’t have. (*3/4)
News teases splashing Blossom but Austin pulls her out of harms way and bails with his championship. Even though he isn’t the champ he still wants to rap, you gotta respect it.
-Ross and Hyatt make the final sell for The Great American Bash, focusing on Hyatt’s upcoming intergender tag team match. Clips of her run-ins with Dangerously are shown, Hyatt is interrupted by Paul E. Dangerously to throw some shade. Hyatt will see him in the cage, leaves the set, Ross reveals that Rick Steiner IS in town and will be wrestling tonight much to Dangerously’s chagrin and fear. SEE YA AT THE PPV.