COMMENTATORS: Jim Ross & Paul E. Dangerously
This week on the Power Hour WCW revisits Steve Austin’s surprising TV Title victory from last week’s episode of Worldwide Wrestling plus more…from last week’s Worldwide Wrestling.
- WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair
- WCW UNITED STATES HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: “The Total Package” Lex Luger
- WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION: “Stunning” Steve Austin
- WCW WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott Steiner)
- WCW UNITED STATES TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael “P.S.” Hayes & Jimmy “Jam” Garvin)
- WCW WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael “P.S.” Hayes, Jimmy “Jam” Garvin, & Badstreet)
- Lex Luger vs. Allen Martin (Worldwide – 06.29.1991)
- THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH CONTROL CENTER w/ Paul E. Dangerously
- Johnny B. Badd vs. Terry Bronson (Worldwide – 06.29.1991)
- PN News vs. Tommy Starr
- The Hardliners vs. Tim Parker & Mike Jackson (Worldwide – 06.29.1991)
- MINI-MOVIE: The Desperados Part 4
- WRESTLING NEWS NETWORK w/ Gordon Solie
- The Young Pistols vs. Gene Spurlock & Pat Rose (Worldwide – 06.29.1991)
- One Man Gang & Black Blood vs. Greg Sawyer & Kenny Kendall (Worldwide – 06.29.1991)
- Bobby Eaton [c] vs. Steve Austin for the WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP (Worldwide – 06.29.1991)
“The Total Package” Lex Luger defeated Allen Martin via submission with the Torture Rack (1:39)
- Luger is eight days away from challenging for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship at the Great American Bash. Notice I didn’t say challenging Ric Flair…
- World Championship Wrestling returns to the two-hour format tonight for the first time in a long time. Guess there isn’t a Braves game on.
THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH CONTROL CENTER
Paul E. Dangerously hypes up next Sunday’s PPV by announcing four new matches:
- Dustin Rhodes & The Young Pistols vs. Badstreet & The Fabulous Freebirds in an Elimination Match…not for the Six Man Tag Team Title, I guess
- Yellow Dog vs. Johnny B. Badd in a Bounty Match for Dog’s mask
- Bobby Eaton & PN News vs. Steve Austin & Terrance Taylor in a Scaffold Match dubbed “SkyWalker 2”. YOU MOTHERF*CKERS ARE MAKING PN NEWS DO WHAT NOW?
- Tom Zenk vs. The Diamond Studd
Clip of Studd’s attack on Zenk two weeks ago on World Championship Wrestling. Pre-recorded comments from both men; Studd will drop Z-Man like a bad habit, Z-Man will get revenge for having his clothes ripped off on national TV. Not quite a shampoo commercial-level for a feud but close. Dangerously runs down the entire card from here, which still includes Flair vs. Luger.
Johnny B. Badd [w/ “The Godfather of WCW” Theodore R. Long] defeated Terry Bronson via pinfall with a left hook (1:43)
- Dangerously announces that Little Richard is the President of the “Johnny B. Badd Fan Club” and says he will read Badd’s new rap song later tonight on World Championship Wrestling.
-Ross mentions that Badd defeated Razor Ruddock in an amateur boxing fight. I have no idea who that is. Badd’s nemesis PN News is in action next, Dangerously dubs him the “Round Mound of Sound”.
“The Rapmaster” PN News defeated Tommy Starr via pinfall with the Broken Record (1:53)
- Either this is a fresh match for Power Hour or it aired on one of the shows I’m missing the footage for.
- I can’t f*cking believe WCW is going to put PN News on a goddamn SCAFFOLD. Sounds like attempted murder to me.
The Hardliners (Dick Murdoch & “Dirty” Dick Slater) defeated Tim “Powerhouse” Parker & Mike Jackson when Slater pinned Parker following a Samoan drop (2:10)
-Ross and Dangerously discuss the feud between The Steiners and The Hardliners. Scott Steiner has been put on the shelf for the next four months so I don’t know how much of a feud it is. We’ll get more of a look at that during WWN.
VIGNETTE: THE DESPERADOS: PART 4
Dutch Mantell, Black Bart, & Dead-Eye Dick are around a campfire making dinner. Mantell says he could feel that Stan Hansen was in town but they missed him due to being stuck in jail. Dick gives Mantell and Bart some beans; Dick loves them but Mantell and Bart are not impressed. They smell something foul but it ain’t the beans and they slap Dick with their hats.
- Same video as last week, you think WCW finally gave up?
WRESTLING NEWS NETWORK
As promised earlier Gordon Solie starts the segment focusing on the feud between The Steiner Brothers and The Hardliners. Clip of The Hardliners’ post-match attack at Knocksville USA, specifically going after Rick’s right arm. Solie says that Scott was also injured and could be out for as much as three months (I thought it was four?). Clip of Rick Steiner/Dick Slater and post-match attack from the 6.22.91 World Championship Wrestling. Solie breaks from the recap to mourn the loss of John “Wolfman” Smith. Back to business from Solie who says that if The Steiners can’t defend the Tag Team Titles in the next 30 days then some sort of event needs to be held to declare new champions.
The Young Pistols (Tracy Smothers & Steve Armstrong) [w/ Brad Armstrong] defeated Pat Rose & Gene Spurlock when Armstrong pinned Spurlock following a missile dropkick (1:16)
- Still not entirely sure why Brad Armstrong is seconding The Young Pistols; ooo maybe he’ll be revealed as Badstreet or something. Could be worse, he could be a wrestling rip-off of Spider-Man or something but hey WCW wouldn’t be THAT ridiculous…
One Man Gang & Black Blood [w/ Kevin Sullivan] defeated Greg Sawyer & Kenny Kendall when Blood pinned Sawyer following the Guillotine (1:47)
- One Man Gang not being able to get out of the straitjacket is even funnier the second time.
- Ross mentions that WCW President Jim Herd will be making a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT on World Championship Wrestling. Ohmanohmanohman.
“Beautiful” Bobby Eaton [c] vs. “Stunning” Steve Austin for the WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
Ross and Dangerously frame this as a lookback instead of a fresh match, good on ‘em. New commentary at least.
They lock up, Austin throws Eaton into the corner with relative ease. Second lockup, same result. Third lockup and Austin connects with a scoop slam that really rattles the champ, hurting his left shoulder a bit. Eaton ducks a clothesline and tags Austin with four right hands, sending the challenger to the corner begging for a time-out. Eaton escapes the corner, backdrop followed by more rights that rattles his cages before settling into a side headlock on the mat. Back to a vertical base, Eaton blocks a hip toss and connects with one of his own before taking him back to the mat with a side headlock. Austin backs Eaton into the corner and buries a right to the midsection followed by a right to the side of the head. Eaton dodges a corner splash and connects with more right hands, lateral press only gets a one-count and we’re back to the side headlock as the champ remains in control. Austin sends Eaton to the floor with a kick and rocket launches him onto the guardrail from the apron. Nice. Schiavone and Solie desperately are trying to get over Eaton having knee issues stemming from Knocksville USA but that is not factoring in at all. Stop making fetch happen, guys. Austin misses a splash and sends himself into the ropes, Eaton connects with a pair of jabs and a backdrop. Eaton drives Austin to the mat with a clothesline followed by a swinging neckbreaker. Eaton comes off the top and hits the Alabama Jam but in comes Lady Blossom. Blossom rakes the eyes with her claw-like FEMININE NAILS and Austin rolls him up for the 1…2…3! Oh it wasn’t a kiss like I thought. I need to get my eyes checked.
Steve Austin defeated Bobby Eaton [c] via pinfall to win the WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP (7:56)
- Austin upsets Eaton to become TV Champion not even a month into his WCW career. Dude was going to be money from the start, Rattlesnake or not. I liked the match overall but Schiavone and Solie trying to bring up possible knee problems to give Eaton an out just didn’t work and contradicted what was actually happening in the match. Grasping at straws as it were. That was a little distracting. Poor Eaton, I don’t even think he defended the title much before losing it. (**1/2)
-Ross and Dangerously talk about the announced scaffold match that will feature both Eaton and Austin. Dangerously says this match always scared him as a manager and he would never sign the contract for it because it could end a career in the blink of an eye. How bad is Scott Steiner injured? CALL THE WCW HOTLINE.