COMMENTATORS: Jim Ross & Paul E. Dangerously
This week’s Power Hour features matches from the 5-11 and 5-18 episodes of Pro, plus initial match announcements for next month’s Clash of the Champions event.
- WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair
- WCW UNITED STATES HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: “The Total Package” Lex Luger
- WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION: “Beautiful” Bobby Eaton
- WCW WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott Steiner)
- WCW UNITED STATES TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael “P.S.” Hayes & Jimmy “Jam” Garvin)
- WCW WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: Ricky Morton, “Wildfire” Tommy Rich, & The Junkyard Dog
- Big Josh vs. Mike Steel (Pro – 5.18.91)
- Nikita Koloff vs. Ian Weston (Pro – 5.11.91)
- Ricky Morton, Tommy Rich, & Junkyard Dog vs. Tom Burke, Jeff Sword, & Joe Cazana (Pro – 5.18.91)
- The Steiner Brothers vs. Mike Maverick & Dave Johnson (Pro – 5.18.91)
- Brian Pillman vs. Jim Corbett (Pro – 5.18.91)
- Sting & Lex Luger vs. Mark Kyle & Hacksaw Higgins (Pro – 5.18.91)
- WRESTLING NEWS NETWORK w/ Gordon Solie
- CLIP: Sting vs. The Great Muta (Japan Supershow)
- HIGHLIGHTS: Great Muta in action
- Ric Flair vs. Johnny Rich (**) (Pro – 5.18.91)
- Dustin Rhodes vs. Doug Vines (Pro – 5.18.91)
–Paul E. Dangerously opens the show saying that now that SuperBrawl is in the past it’s time for WCW to focus on next month’s Clash of the Champions event which we will hear about on this morning’s show.
Big Josh defeated Mike Steel via pinfall with a seated splash (1:08)
- Steel attacks immediately, Josh easily fights him off and makes him pay.
- Josh will be one of the WCW stars signing autographs at tomorrow night’s Omni show. Sweet, I’ll make sure to get in line for that one.
- Dangerously says Josh needs a good manager, Ross asks if he knows any, Dangerously mentions he used to be pretty good. Hmmmm.
-Ross and Dangerously hype tomorrow’s Omni show, which will feature an Arm Wrestling rematch between Dangerously and Missy Hyatt.
“The Russian Nightmare” Nikita Koloff defeated Ian Weston via pinfall with the Russian Sickle (1:54)
- Koloff meets Lex Luger in a No-DQ match for the U.S. Title at the Omni tomorrow night. I wonder if Sting will cost him the match as revenge for SuperBrawl.
Ricky Morton, “Wildfire” Tommy Rich, & Junkyard Dog defeated Tom Burke, Jeff Sword, & Joe Cazana when Morton pinned Cazana with a headscissors (1:39)
-Ross and Dangerously talk about a team from NJPW who want to challenge The Steiner Brothers at Clash of the Champions: Hiroshi Hase & Masahiro Chono. Hase, alongside Kensuke Sasaki, lost the IWGP Team Titles to The Steiners at Japan Supershow, now he’s got a new partner and wants another crack.
The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott Steiner) defeated Mike Maverick & Dave Johnson when Scott Steiner pinned Maverick after the Doomsday Bulldog (1:43)
- Steiners will defend the World Tag Team Titles at tomorrow’s Omni show against The Angel of Death and “Dangerous” Dan Spivey. WHO THE F*CK IS THIS ANGEL OF DEATH GUY?!?
“Flyin” Brian Pillman defeated “Gentleman” Jim Corbett via pinfall with a flying crossbody (1:42)
- Pillman will be challenging Ric Flair for the World Title in a 2 out of 3 Falls match tomorrow at the Omni. Man that’s probably a great match, too bad they didn’t record it.
Sting & “The Total Package” Lex Luger defeated Mark Kyle & Hacksaw Higgins when Sting made Higgins submit to the Scorpion Death Lock (2:06)
- Ross says we will probably not be seeing Sting & Lex in more tag team matches following their SuperBrawl loss due to individual pursuits.
-WRESTLING NEWS NETWORK: Gordon Solie shows footage of “Rapmaster” P.N. News in action from last week’s World Championship Wrestling, including a beautiful dropkick which was impressive due to his girth. News is very obviously better than the gimmick he’s been given. We also get an early clip of tomorrow night’s Main Event where News makes Dangerously rap with him during an in-ring Danger Zone. Solie changes gears to the 6/13/90 Clash of the Champions where Lex Luger defeated Sid Vicious in SECONDS. I think WCW is mad Sid left. Solie then segues into a Tony Schiavone-narrated video hyping up Clash of the Champions scheduled for June 12th. Matches announced:
- Lex Luger vs. The Great Muta (YEEEEAH!!!!) in a #1 Contenders Match; winner faces the World Champion at the Great American Bash
- Brian Pillman & El Gigante vs. Barry Windham & Arn Anderson in a Loser Leaves WCW Match
- Sting vs. Nikita Koloff in a Grudge Match
- The Steiner Brothers vs. Hiroshi Hase & Masahiro Chono for the IWGP Tag Team Championship
-JAPAN SUPERSHOW CLIP: The Great Muta defeats Sting, which is being framed as the reason Muta will be facing Lex Luger next month in a #1 Contender’s Match.
-CLIPS: Highlights of The Great Muta wrecking some blonde jobber during his time as Gary Hart’s protégé.
“The Nature Boy” Ric Flair defeated “Jumpin” Johnny Rich via submission with the Figure Four (3:52)
- Rich takes Flair down with a drop toehold and gets the FIGURE FOUR LOCKED IN, but Flair gets to the ropes to quickly break it. Whoa. I’m surprised Rich was given such a big spot.
- Zbyszko casually mentions that Flair has been ducking him for over fifteen years. I would watch a Flair/Larry Z match.
- Rich with count-a-long rights, Flair counters with an inverted atomic drop…then does the FLAIR FLOP. Rich looking like a million bucks here.
- Good win for Flair, and he made Rich look pretty great as well which is something he totally didn’t need to do. F it I’ll give this one a rating.
- RATING: **
-Ross and Dangerously speculate on the next member of The York Foundation. Dangerously says Dustin Rhodes WILL be the next member despite his numerous protests to the contrary.
“The Natural” Dustin Rhodes defeated Doug Vines via pinfall with the Bulldog (0:58)
- Rhodes is teaming with Ricky Morton to face Terrence Taylor & One Man Gang tonight in World Championship Wrestling. The heel side of that manager-wise is going to be strange. I hope Hughes punches Sullivan out.
- POST-MATCH: Alexandra York and Hughes make their way ringside. York grabs a mic and presents Rhodes with a contract to join The York Foundation. Hughes hands Rhodes the contract, who rips it up and throws it at Hughes. I mean they didn’t give him a pen so what else was he going to do? Hughes takes his jacket off and enters the ring, Rhodes only too happy to fight him. York gets in between them and talks her man down. York tries to slap Rhodes, Rhodes catches it and KISSES HER SQUARE ON THE LIPS. Crowd cheers because assault in pro wrestling is a babyface move. Rhodes walks off, York looks kinda…turned on? I’m not sure.
-Ross and Dangerously hypes tonight’s World Championship Wrestling and tomorrow’s Main Event which will feature Bobby Eaton/Terrence Taylor. Dangerously shows off a fake pic of a fat Missy Hyatt from a tabloid and that’s that.