COMMENTATORS: Tony Schiavone & Larry Zbyszko
This week on Pro Dustin Rhodes pulls double duty in tag team action and as a guest on Larry Z’s Legends, Sting & Lex Luger try to defeat the overwhelming power of MANGUM FORCE, the “controversy” around the World Title is discussed, and Gordon Solie lays out the ENTIRE lineup for next month’s SuperBrawl PPV.
- WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair (?)
- WCW UNITED STATES HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: “The Total Package” Lex Luger
- WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION: “The Enforcer” Arn Anderson
- WCW WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott Steiner)
- WCW UNITED STATES TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: Vacant
- WCW WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: Ricky Morton, “Wildfire” Tommy Rich, & The Junkyard Dog
- Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Morton vs. Rob Morgan & Chuck Coats
- SUPERBRAWL CONTROL CENTER w/ Gordon Solie
- Big Josh vs. Jeff Sword
- GREEN SCREEN PROMO: The Steiner Brothers
- Big Van Vader. Mark Merro
- CLIP: Ric Flair vs. Tatsumi Fujinami (Japan Supershow – 4.7.91)
- INTERVIEW: Ric Flair
- Ron Simmons vs. Tony Mella
- LARRY Z’S LEGENDS: Larry Zbyszko w/ Dustin Rhodes
- One Man Gang vs. Keith Hart
- Sting & Lex Luger vs. Magnum Force
-CLIP: Jim Ross after the conclusion of Ric Flair/Tatsumi Fujinami at Japan Supershow. Fujinami threw Flair over the top rope during the match but Fujinami pinned Flair after so there’s controversy surrounding who the real World’s Champion is.
-Schiavone and Zbyszko welcome the home audience in Chicago. Zbyszko’s guest on Larry Z’s Legends this week is Dustin Rhodes, who got in Stan Hansen’s face a few weeks back. Hype for tomorrow’s big UIC Pavilion show.
“The Natural” Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Morton defeated Rob Morgan & Chuck Coats when Morton pinned Coats (3:28)
- Rob Morgan’s entrance suspender game is on point. Coats still wearing SHIRTS and not living up to his name.
- Rhodes hits Coats with a Bulldog then slams Morton on top for the win. They’re gelling real well as a tag team, Robert Gibson must be JELLY.
-SUPERBRAWL CONTROL CENTER: Gordon Solie announces that Ric Flair will face Tatsumi Fujinami in a rematch from Japan Supershow to decide the World Championship. Also announced is Ron Simmons vs. Butch Reed is a ThunderDOOM Cage, with Teddy Long suspended above in a steel cage. Brian Pillman and Barry Windham announced as well in a Taped Fist Match. Both men have dorky things to say about it. Solie then goes over the previously announced matches. Bobby Eaton and Arn Anderson comment on their upcoming TV Title match. This is a long one! Eaton says title about 1500 times and it’s endearing as F*CK. We get even MORE match announcements, as Dustin Rhodes takes on Terrance Taylor in a Computer Match and Tommy Rich will take on Nikita Koloff, plus a Diamond Mine segment and a Danger Zone with Stan Hansen. Jeez wanna announce anything else man? Wow.
Big Josh defeated Jeff Sword via pinfall with a seated splash (2:46)
- Zbyszko is scheduled to face Big Josh at SuperBrawl so of course he throws all the shade at him during his entrance.
- Josh is nice to Sword at first, helping him out and such, until Sword takes a cheap shot and brings out the FIRE in the good ol’ lumberjack.
- Schiavone and Zbyszko try to come up with a move for Josh’s finisher and fail miserably. Great improv.
-GREEN SCREEN PROMO: The Steiner Brothers throw shade at Sid Vicious and vow to hurt him again tomorrow night at the UIC Pavilion.
Big Van Vader defeated Mark Merro via pinfall with a flying bodyblock (1:38)
- Schiavone calls Mero/Merro “Mark Merrio” which makes me laugh a lot more than it should. Sounds like when people pronounce the a in “Mario”.
-BRICKHOUSE BONUS: Jack Brickhouse essentially makes a sales pitch for WCW being a great family-friendly product. Cool man, I’m already watching the show though.
-CLIP: Ric Flair vs. Tatsumi Fujinami (Japan Supershow). Schiavone narrates the action instead of the original commentary. Ref bump, Fujnami backdrops Flair to the floor. WCW ref (Bill Alfonso) calls for a DQ but Fujinami pins Flair and the NJPW ref (Tiger Hattori) makes the three-count.
-Schiavone is with Ric Flair. Flair hypes tomorrow’s UIC Pavilion show and his tag team cage match against Sting & El Gigante, then Flair pivots to Fujinami saying he will prove once again that he’s the man at SuperBrawl.
Ron Simmons defeated Tony Mella via pinfall with a flying clothesline (3:28)
- INSERT PROMO: Ron Simmons says Butch Reed has got something coming to him tomorrow night in Chicago.
- Simmons attacks right at the bell, full of piss and vinegar. He’s still got “D” on his boots despite Doom having broken up two months ago. Taping ahead is GREAT.
-LARRY Z’S LEGENDS: Zbyszko welcomes guest Dustin Rhodes to the ring. Rhodes says he doesn’t know anything about computers and is not interested in being part of The York Foundation. Zbyszko says he himself would be proud to be part of the Foundation, Rhodes mocks him by saying he’d never put himself in his shoes. SICK BURN.
One Man Gang [w/ Kevin Sullivan & Teddy Long] defeated Keith Hart via pinfall with the 747 (3:04)
- Welcome back, Keith! What a killer bump machine this dude is. They picked a good victim for One Man Gang.
- Lots of yellin’, lots of clubberin’.
- POST-MATCH: Long and Sullivan hold Hart down so Gang can deliver two more 747s. Out comes El Gigante of all people to make the save. Schiavone calls him “E-gel-egante”. That’s a new one.
Sting & “The Total Package” Lex Luger defeated Magnum Force when Luger made one of ‘em submit to the Torture Rack (3:23)
- Someone in the crowd holds Luger on his way out, Luger THROWS the security guard between them. Hilarious.
- INSERT PROMO: Lex Luger hypes tomorrow’s UIC Pavilion show.
- Magnum Force about to SHOCK the wo-okay fine they won’t and don’t.
- Sting splashes both Magnum Forces on the floor and the crowd goes absolutely INSANE. This Stinger guy is over, brother.
- Sting takes out both Forces at once with a Stinger Splash, his knee knocking the other off the apron.
- SUPER FUN squash match. Tons of energy from Sting & Luger.
-Schiavone and Zbyszko hype next week, which will feature a Pillman/Anderson rematch and Flair on Larry Z’s Legends.