COMMENTATORS: Tony Schiavone & “The Living Legend” Larry Zbyszko
This week on Pro Larry Zbyszko invites his SuperBrawl opponent Big Josh onto Larry Z’s Legends and absolutely no shenanigans happen, no sir. Also on the show Ric Flair and Johnny Rich have a fun little match and Dusty Rhodes makes some PPV predictions, EEEF YOU WHEEEL.
- WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair
- WCW UNITED STATES HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: “The Total Package” Lex Luger
- WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION: “The Enforcer” Arn Anderson
- WCW WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott Steiner)
- WCW UNITED STATES TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: Vacant
- WCW WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: Ricky Morton, “Wildfire” Tommy Rich, & Junkyard Dog
- The Steiner Brothers vs. Mike Maverick & Dave Johnson
- GREEN SCREEN PROMO: Dusty Rhodes
- Sting & Lex Luger vs. Mark Kyle & Hacksaw Higgins
- GREEN SCREEN PROMO: Ric Flair
- Ric Flair vs. Johnny Rich (**)
- Big Josh vs. Mike Steel
- SUPERBRAWL CONTROL CENTER w/ Gordon Solie
- Brian Pillman vs. Jim Corbett
- LARRY Z’S LEGENDS w/ Larry Zbyszko & Big Josh
- Dustin Rhodes vs. Doug Vines
- Ricky Morton, Tommy Rich, & Junkyard Dog vs. Tom Burke, Jeff Sword, & Joe Cazana
-LAST WEEK: Brian Pillman attacks Barry Windham during last week’s Larry Z’s Legends.
-Schiavone and Zbyszko welcome the home audience and hype tomorrow’s SuperBrawl. Big Josh, Zbyszko’s opponent for the PPV, is here today and Zbyszko will be interviewing him on Larry Z’s Legends!
The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott Steiner) defeated Mike Maverick & Dave Johnson when Scott Steiner pinned Maverick after the Doomsday Bulldog (1:43)
- INSERT PROMO: Sting & Lex Luger says they’re serious when it comes to winning tomorrow night. They won’t fight dirty though, NO SIR.
-GREEN SCREEN PROMO: “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes is here to do some SuperBrawl hype because it’s the biggest PPV in the history of the world. FUNKY LIKE A MONKEY and whatnot. Rhodes picks Flair over Fujinami, but won’t tell you who he thinks will win between The Steiners and Sting & Lex Luger. Rhodes then puts over Dustin (of course) and mentions he’ll be on commentary.
Sting & “The Total Package” Lex Luger defeated Mark Kyle & Hacksaw Higgins when Sting made Higgins submit to the Scorpion Death Lock (2:06)
- Luger wrecks Kyle, Higgins has to be talked into making the tag but actually gets some offense in on Sting including a corner splash. Sting fights back pretty quick though and gives him a Stinger Splash of his own.
-GREEN SCREEN PROMO: “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair also thinks SuperBrawl is going to be the greatest PPV ever. Imagine that.
“The Nature Boy” Ric Flair defeated “Jumpin” Johnny Rich via submission with the Figure Four (3:52)
- Rich takes Flair down with a drop toehold and gets the FIGURE FOUR LOCKED IN, but Flair gets to the ropes to quickly break it. Whoa. I’m surprised Rich was given such a big spot.
- Zbyszko casually mentions that Flair has been ducking him for over fifteen years. I would watch a Flair/Larry Z match.
- Rich with count-a-long rights, Flair counters with an inverted atomic drop…then does the FLAIR FLOP. Rich looking like a million bucks here.
- Good win for Flair, and he made Rich look pretty great as well which is something he totally didn’t need to do. F it I’ll give this one a rating.
- RATING: **
Big Josh defeated Mike Steel via pinfall with a seated splash (1:08)
-SUPERBRAWL CONTROL CENTER: Gordon Solie here with the final edition of the segment (not including the three other times it’s airing this weekend). Solie runs down the entire card. Dustin Rhodes and The York Foundation have words about the COM-PEW-TOR Match. They turned the old time limit gimmick during Michael Wallstreet’s run earlier in the year into a match type. Cool. Solie then takes it to that music video hyping Steiners vs. Sting & Lex Luger. WCW is so proud of this video, you gotta respect it.
-LAST WEEK: Brian Pillman interrupts Barry Windham’s promo on Larry Z’s Legends.
“Flyin” Brian Pillman defeated “Gentleman” Jim Corbett via pinfall with a flying crossbody (1:42)
-LARRY Z’S LEGENDS: Zbyszko welcomes Big Josh to the ring and asks about his plans to bring a bear to the ring tomorrow night. Josh is flying Big Ben first class to SuperBrawl and says he wouldn’t hurt a fly…unless they were obnoxious LIKE SOME PEOPLE. Josh wants all the kids to come see Big Ben tomorrow, which is just a lawsuit waiting to happen. Zbyszko drops the pretense of the interview and attacks Josh with the mic; he attempts to hit him with the ax handle but Josh takes it away and takes a wild swing, which the Living Legend narrowly avoids.
“The Natural” Dustin Rhodes defeated Doug Vines via pinfall with the Bulldog (0:58)
- Schiavone calls this match alone as Zbyszko is still running away from Big Josh.
- INSERT PROMO: Dustin Rhodes says he will not be defeated by Terrence Taylor or his computer.
- POST-MATCH: Alexandra York and Hughes make their way ringside. York grabs a mic and presents Rhodes with a contract to join The York Foundation. Hughes hands Rhodes the contract, who rips it up and throws it at Hughes. I mean they didn’t give him a pen so what else was he going to do? Hughes takes his jacket off and enters the ring, Rhodes only too happy to fight him. York gets in between them and talks her man down. York tries to slap Rhodes, Rhodes catches it and KISSES HER SQUARE ON THE LIPS. Crowd cheers because assault in pro wrestling is a babyface move. Rhodes walks off, York looks kinda…turned on? I’m not sure.
-GREEN SCREEN PROMO: Nikita Koloff hypes his match with Tommy Rich at SuperBrawl. Koloff reiterates his quest for the United States Title and tells Lex Luger not to forget him.
Ricky Morton, “Wildfire” Tommy Rich, & Junkyard Dog defeated Tom Burke, Jeff Sword, & Joe Cazana when Morton pinned Cazana with a headscissors (1:39)
- Schiavone mentions that while Luger and Koloff were fined due to their Meadowlands encounter, the former is still the U.S. Champion. They have yet to replace his belt though. Zbyszko rejoins Schiavone on commentary and they spend the entire match not paying attention to it.
-Cut to Schiavone and Zbyszko, the latter justifying his sneak attack on Big Josh. Replay of the end of that segment to end the episode.
FINAL THOUGHTS: That Flair/Rich match legitimately surprised me. I dug it a lot. I also liked the SuperBrawl hype segments for Josh/Zbyszko and Rhodes/Taylor. Good show.