COMMENTATORS: Jim Ross & Paul E. Dangerously
World Championship Wrestling features not one but TWO big announcements from EVP Jim Herd regarding the Great American Bash next week and the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, plus a whole lot of folks squashing other folks. Also Firebreaker Chip warns us against the danger of matches.
- WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: Vacant
- WCW UNITED STATES HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: “The Total Package” Lex Luger
- WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION: “Stunning” Steve Austin
- WCW WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott Steiner)
- WCW UNITED STATES TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael “P.S.” Hayes & Jimmy “Jam” Garvin)
- WCW WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael “P.S.” Hayes, Jimmy “Jam” Garvin, & Badstreet)
- Sting vs. Keith Steinborn
- WCW TOP TEN
- The Hardliners vs. Joey Maggs & Dave Johnson
- THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH CONTROL CENTER w/ Paul E. Dangerously
- Steve Austin vs. Johnny Rich
- DEBUT PROMO: The Patriots
- Lex Luger vs. Jeff Stone
- Dustin Rhodes & Robert Gibson vs. Black Bart & Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker
- Terrence Taylor vs. Johnny Meadows
- JIM HERD’S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT PART 1
- Tom Zenk vs. Joe Cazana
- PN News vs. Tim Frye
- Johnny B. Badd vs. Chad Floyd
- One Man Gang vs. Danny Hornaday
- Rick Steiner vs. Brian Jernigan (sp?)
- JIM HERD’S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT PART 2
- Diamond Studd vs. The Blaze/Blue Blazer
- Barry Windham vs. Jackie Fulton
- RINGSIDE INTERVIEW: Jim Ross w/ Barry Windham
-TWO WEEKS AGO: Diamond Studd & Diamond Dallas Page strip Tom Zenk out of his suit after a sneak attack.
-Ross and Dangerously hype Jim Herd’s BIG announcement scheduled for tonight. Neither one has any idea what it could be, possibly THE WORLD CHAMPION LEAVING THE COMPANY SUDDENLY?
Sting defeated Keith Steinborn via submission with the Scorpion Death Lock (2:54)
- Sting tries to high-five a young Stinger during his entrance but the kid doesn’t read the room so the camera has to cut away. WHAT A NERD.
- Steinborn makes the most of his TV time here, not only selling Sting’s offense but also cowering in fear when his own offense does nothing. Sting even plays along and adds some spice, throwing Steinborn around by the ponytail.
WCW TOP TEN
Schiavone goes over the top ten singles ranks of WCW:
- Lex Luger
- Barry Windham
- Steve Austin
- Bobby Eaton
- Arn anderson
- El Gigante
- The Diamond Studd
- Ron Simmons
- Johnny B. Badd
-GREEN SCREEN PROMO: Tom Zenk is going to get his revenge on The Diamond Studd next Sunday at The Great American Bash.
The Hardliners (“Dirty” Dick Slater & Dick Murdoch) defeated “Jumpin” Joey Maggs & Dave Johnson when Murdoch made Johnson submit to a Fujiwara Armbar (6:06)
- With Scott Steiner out of action for a few months, it’s announced via commentary that Rick Steiner will have a “mystery partner” to face The Hardliners during the Great American Bash Tour.
- Hardliners focus their offense on Johnson’s left arm, Murdoch using a key lock and he and Slater taking turns sending him shoulder-first into the post.
- Squash goes on way too long, a negative of this week’s show going back to two hours.
THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH CONTROL CENTER
Paul E. Dangerously F*CKING HYPES FLAIR/LUGER FOR NEXT SUNDAY COME ON and also goes over the four new matches signed:
- Dustin Rhodes & The Young Pistols vs. Badstreet & The Fabulous Freebirds in an Elimination Match
- The Yellow Dog vs. Johnny B. Badd in a Bounty Match for Dog’s mask
- PN News & Bobby Eaton vs. Steve Austin & Terrence Taylor in a Scaffold Match
- Tom Zenk vs. Diamond Studd (another clip of Studd’s attack/stripping of Zenk plays, as well as pre-recorded comments from both)
Dangerously then runs down the whole card…but not Flair/Luger so they removed it there. The editing is beautiful.
“Stunning” Steve Austin [w/ Lady Blossom] defeated Johnny Rich via pinfall after a Stun Gun/face plant combo (6:35)
- Austin had the match won at various points but chose to relent on his pinfall attempts to keep the punishment going. Rich almost rallied back but Blossom distracted him and Austin got the win. Again longer squash than ultimately necessary but at least they kept it interesting and it wasn’t totally one-sided. Not sure why Austin had to face plant Rich at the end though, I feel like the Stun Gun is a fine way to end things by itself.
-GREEN SCREEN PROMO: The Patriots (Firebreaker Chip & Todd Champion) make their first WCW appearance…in a PSA of sorts as Chip tells the kids at home not to play with matches. BUT HOW WILL THEY LIGHT THEIR CIGARETTES, CHIP? YOU HAVEN’T THOUGHT OF THE CIGARETTES.
“The Total Package” Lex Luger defeated Jeff Stone via submission with the Torture Rack (1:44)
- Ross and Dangerously hype Luger challenging for the World Championship next Sunday, but don’t mention who his scheduled opponent is. Looks like they DO know what Jim Herd’s announcement is going to be.
“The Natural” Dustin Rhodes & Robert Gibson defeated Black Bart & Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker when Gibson pinned Parker (5:32)
- INSET PROMO: Richard Morton says he was the one who led The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express to four Tag Team Titles and tells his former partner to not interfere in York Foundation business. They face off next Sunday.
- Black Bart has gone from goofy Desperadoes vignettes back to job guy in SHORT order. Poor guy. Guess they never found Stan Hansen.
- Rhodes hits a Bulldog on Parker, Gibson wraps the legs and rolls him up for the victory.
“The Computerized Man of the 1990s” Terrence Taylor [w/ Alexandra York, Richard Morton, & Mr. Hughes] defeated Johnny Meadows via pinfall with the Five Arm (4:13)
- Luckily enough York’s COM-PEW-TOR had enough RAM to figure out a way to beat the almighty JOHNNY MEADOWS. Taylor would’ve lost in ten seconds without it.
- Ross and Dangerously hype PN News being the biggest man to ever compete in a scaffold match, happening next weekend, which makes sense because ONLY A CRAZY WRESTLING COMPANY WOULD MAKE SOMEONE OF HIS SIZE DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT.
JIM HERD’S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT PART 1
WCW EVP Jim Herd is here with a statement: after extensive negotiations with Ric Flair lasting over a year, they were unable to come to an agreement. The WCW World Title has been vacated and a new champion will be decided next Sunday at The Great American Bash. Lex Luger will be involved, his opponent to be announced later. Herd then wishes Flair well on his future endeavors.
“The Z-Man” Tom Zenk defeated Joe Cazana via pinfall with the missile dropkick (4:00 or so shown)
- Match is joined in progress; after introductions WCW cut to Jim Herd for that Earth shattering announcement. Naturally Ross and Dangerously can’t focus on the match given that the WORLD CHAMPION has left the company. Can’t blame them.
“The Rapmaster” PN News defeated Tim Frye via pinfall with the Broken Record (2:55)
- Frye jumps on News’ back at the bell, News easily flings him off and it’s all him from there.
- Poor Tim Frye took that Broken Record on his legs. Jeeeez.
-GREEN SCREEN PROMO: Johnny B. Badd and Theodore R. Long are going to take the mask of The Yellow Dog. Badd then throws some shade at PN News to keep that feud going.
Johnny B. Badd [w/ Theodore R. Long] defeated Chad Floyd via pinfall with a left hook (3:28)
- Badd gets too distracted showing off for Long and Floyd almost upsets him with a roll-up. This awakens the tougher side of Badd who makes him pay for the insult, as does Long.
- It’s astounding how much more entertaining Badd & Long are than most of the WCW roster.
- POST-MATCH: Badd puts a lipstick sticker on Floyd’s cheek as that KISS DON’T MISS BABY.
-GREEN SCREEN PROMO: Kevin Sullivan spews crazy f*cking nonsense about the lady with the third eye proclaiming One Man Gang as the true giant of WCW. A clip of Sullivan shaving Gigante’s head is shown.
One Man Gang [w/ Kevin Sullivan] defeated Danny Hornaday via pinfall with the 747 (2:47)
- I’d put good money on Hornaday’s day job being either a middle school History teacher or something in middle management.
- POST-MATCH: El Gigante interrupts a post-match beatdown and cuts some of Sullivan’s hair off for a little revenge. Gigante looks way better with his hair shaved than with the mullet, he should be THANKING Sullivan.
Rick Steiner defeated Brian Jernigan (sp?) via pinfall with a middle-buckle belly-to-belly suplex (2:06)
- Ross doesn’t know what the WCW Committee is going to do in regards to the World Tag Team Championship as The Steiner Brothers are getting close to the 30 day rule as champions. Oh man WCW about to vacate two titles? Rough month.
- After a replay of the finish WCW pops up an address to write Scott Steiner some get well wishes as he recovers from his injury.
-Ross and Dangerously recap Jim Herd’s earlier announcement: Ric Flair is gone from WCW and the World Championship has been vacated.
JIM HERD’S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT PART 2
Back to Jim Herd who announces the new World Title match for The Great American Bash: Lex Luger will take on…Barry Windham! Ross and Dangerously get HYPED about it. Windham is ranked as #2 in the WCW Top Ten so on one hand that’s not surprising, on the other hand…Barry Windham? Fair enough.
The Diamond Studd [w/ Diamond Dallas Page] defeated The Blaze/Blue Blazer via pinfall with the Diamond Death Drop (2:31)
- Cappetta announces Studd’s opponent as “The Blaze” but the graphic says “Blue Blazer” and no it’s not Owen Hart under the mask don’t get excited his WCW run is already over.
- Before the match a new Studdette is introduced to tear Studd’s entrance gear off. Her hair is very tall.
Barry Windham defeated Jackie Fulton via pinfall with the Superplex (2:53)
- Dangerously will interview Lex Luger next Saturday night ahead of his big Great American Bash World Title opportunity.
- Jackie is the brother of Fantastics member Bobby Fulton and the two teamed together as a version of The Fantastics, notably in Smoky Mountain Wrestling.
- POST-MATCH: Ross interviews Windham at ringside. Windham says he’s not going to let Lex Luger stand in his way to the World Championship. He spent four years standing behind Ric Flair and helping him hold onto the gold but he’s going to walk the aisle in a way the Nature Boy never could.
FINAL THOUGHTS: Not much in the way of wrestling this week but the episode did feature a BIG shakeup in WCW as well as a new World Title match for The Great American Bash so it’s an historic episode regardless.