COMMENTATORS: Jim Ross & Paul E. Dangerously
It’s a Bounty for the Mask tonight on World Championship Wrestling as The Yellow Dog teams with Bobby Eaton & Ron Simmons to take on Arn Anderson, Steve Austin, & Larry Zbyszko. El Gigante and Johnny B. Badd are also in action, and Lex Luger makes I assume his final comments heading into his big match at The Great American Bash.
- WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: Vacant
- WCW UNITED STATES HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: “The Total Package” Lex Luger
- WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION: “Stunning” Steve Austin
- WCW WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott Steiner)
- WCW UNITED STATES TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael “P.S.” Hayes & Jimmy “Jam” Garvin)
- WCW WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael “P.S.” Hayes, Jimmy “Jam” Garvin, & Badstreet)
- Johnny B. Badd vs. Johnny Rich
- RINGSIDE: Jim Ross Interviews Johnny B. Badd & Theodore R. Long
- Nikita Koloff vs. Chad Floyd
- THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH CONTROL CENTER w/ Paul E. Dangerously
- The Hardliners vs. Johnny Meadows & Jackie Fulton
- THE DANGER ZONE w/ Paul E. Dangerously & Lex Luger
- El Gigante vs. Keith Steinborn
- BOUNTY FOR THE MASK: The Yellow Dog, Ron Simmons, & Bobby Eaton vs. Arn Anderson, Steve Austin, & Larry Zbyszko (**)
–Jim Herd reads a prepared statement. You know the score by now: Ric Flair is gone, World Title is vacated…and they cut it off before it’s finished. Oh.
-Ross and Dangerously welcome the home audience at ringside. Hype for Luger/Windham at tomorrow’s Bash to determine the new World Champion. Is it Luger’s legacy or Windham’s legacy to be champion? We will find out. Main event tonight is a Bounty six-man tag team match. Eyyy we’re back to an hour.
Johnny B. Badd [w/ Theodore R. Long] defeated Johnny Rich via pinfall with the Tutti Frutti (4:48)
- If Yellow Dog loses his mask tonight his match with Badd at the PPV will be cancelled; if I’m Johnny B. Badd I’d be throwing left hooks to everyone to preserve my PPV payday.
- Badd slips off the top and improvises, hitting a slingshot sunset flip instead. Nice fix.
- The left hook has a name now: The Tutti Frutti. Like that Little Richard song. Because he’s Little Richard but a wrestler (AND WHITE) you see.
- Rich is higher-up on the jobber tier so he’s allowed to get some offense in and make it competitive.
- POST-MATCH: Rich gets a lipstick sticker for his troubles.
-RINGSIDE INTERVIEW: Ross is with Badd & Long. He asks them who will win the World Championship; Badd says Lex Luger is a big ol’ strong boy with muscles but Barry Windham is the more exceptional wrestler and will win. Long says they’re gonna get mo’ money when they take the mask from Yellow Dog tomorrow and prove that he’s Brian Pillman.
“The Russian Nightmare” Nikita Koloff defeated Chad Floyd via pinfall with the Russian Sickle (2:43)
- INSET PROMO: Sting won’t be as intimidated at the Bash as the little kid was at Knocksville U.S.A. Good to know.
- POST-MATCH: Koloff adds insult to injury with a cobra clutch after the bell.
THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH CONTROL CENTER
Dangerously hypes Luger/Windham in a Cage Match for the vacant World Heavyweight Championship. This affects the OTHER cage match, as now the six-person contest scheduled originally is a tag team affair as Rick Steiner teams with Missy Hyatt against Arn Anderson & Dangerously. Rest of the card is hyped as well, Richard Morton and Robert Gibson have some comments about their singles match against one another. Comments from Barry Windham who tells Lex Luger to be ready for the battle of his life because he will prove he is the next World Heavyweight Champion.
The Hardliners (“Dirty” Dick Slater & Dick Murdoch) defeated Johnny Meadows & Jackie Fulton when Slater made Meadows submit to a Fujiwara Armbar (4:55)
- WCW GRAPHIC: “Hardline Detective Agency”. LISTEN WITH YOUR EARS, PRODUCTION CREW.
- INSET PROMO: Rick Steiner is gonna eat The Hardliners and spit them out. Seems like a waste but you do you, Dogface.
-VIDEO: The Patriots (Firebreaker Chip & Todd Champion) tell the kids at home not to do drugs. But I like drugs. Let me do drugs, you jerk.
IN-RING SEGMENT: THE DANGER ZONE
Dangerously takes it to the rest of Jim Herd’s announcement, which reveals that Barry Windham will take on Lex Luger for the vacant World Title at The Great American Bash. Speaking of the Total Package, out comes Lex Luger as Dangerously’s guest. Luger calls Windham a worthy contender, but his goal remains unchanged: becoming the new World Heavyweight Championship. A new era begins tomorrow: The Era of The Total Package.
-SPECIAL FEATURE: Video hyping Luger/Windham for The Great American Bash.
El Gigante defeated Keith Steinborn via pinfall with the Claw (1:23)
- INSET PROMO: Kevin Sullivan says people think One Man Gang is crazy but it is EL GIGANTE who is crazy for picking a fight with him.
BOUNTY FOR THE MASK
The Yellow Dog, “The All-American” Ron Simmons, & “Beautiful” Bobby Eaton vs. “The Enforcer” Arn Anderson, “Stunning” Steve Austin, & “The Living Legend” Larry Zbyszko [w/ Lady Blossom]
Anderson knocks Simmons off the apron, then rolls to the floor to dodge Eaton; Simmons makes him pay with a military press back into the ring. Dog tags in, fakes Anderson out with a crossbody attempt then catches him with a missile dropkick. Anderson dodges an elbow, Zbyszko tags in and immediately goes after the mask. Dog escapes, kicking Zbyszko away and grabbing a side headlock. Austin tags in, lays into Dog with rights. Eaton blind tags, double clothesline to Austin, Zbyszko pulls down the top rope behind the ref’s back and Eaton spills to the floor. Austin keeps the offense going, drilling Eaton with a powerslam and back elbow. Anderson tags in, dropping a knee across the face and stomping Eaton in the corner. Eaton rolls towards the apron, Anderson slingshots him throat-first into the bottom rope. Zbyszko tags in, sneaks in a choke as the ref gets distracted with Simmons and Eaton. Zbyszko connects with a vertical suplex, covers but only gets a two-count. Austin tags back in, Eaton counters a backdrop with an inside cradle for the 1…2…Austin kicks out and immediately clobbers Eaton with a double axhandle. Heels continue to work Eaton over, Eaton connects with an atomic drop and the back of Anderson’s head cracks against his face. Zbyszko gets the tag but so does Eaton, who tags both Dog and Simmons so they run in to do battle. Dog misses a dropkick, Zbyszko removes the mask but HE HAS ANOTHER ONE UNDERNEATH and Dog rolls him up for the 1…2…3!
The Yellow Dog, Ron Simmons, & Bobby Eaton defeated Arn Anderson, Steve Austin, & Larry Zbyszko via pinfall (7:02 or so)
- Yellow Dog working smart by double masking, well-played Flyin’ Bri-uh whoever you are. Entertaining match, though Eaton spent more time on defense than I would’ve liked. Ron Simmons just out here collecting an easy paycheck. (**)
FINAL THOUGHTS: Fun main event and a nice promo from Lex Luger, who appears to be rocking some delusions of grandeur heading into the Bash. We’ll see if that factors in. Quick hour, not much of note.