COMMENTATORS: Tony Schiavone & Gordon Solie
This week on Worldwide Dustin Rhodes teams up with Ricky Morton to take on Terrence Taylor and Arn Anderson, Barry Windham runs afoul (LOL) of a man in a chicken suit, and PN News continues to rap off-time but be impressive in the ring regardless.
- WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair
- WCW UNITED STATES HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: “The Total Package” Lex Luger
- WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION: “Beautiful” Bobby Eaton
- WCW WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott Steiner)
- WCW UNITED STATES TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael “P.S.” Hayes & Jimmy “Jam” Garvin)
- WCW WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: Ricky Morton, “Wildfire” Tommy Rich, & The Junkyard Dog
- Ron Simmons vs. John Peterson
- RINGSIDE INTERVIEW: Tony Schiavone w/ Ron Simmons
- Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Morton vs. Terrence Taylor & Arn Anderson (***)
- Sting vs. Chuck Coats
- One Man Gang vs. Randy Starr
- GREEN SCREEN PROMO: Lex Luger
- Lex Luger vs. Cody Wade
- Barry Windham vs. Kenny Kendall
- PN News vs. Joe Cruz
-LAST WEEK: One Man Gang and Kevin Sullivan attack Ron Simmons, El Gigante makes the save but then gets beaten down as well.
-Schiavone and Solie welcome the home audience at ringside. Hype for today’s show, which will feature Rhodes/Morton vs. Taylor/Anderson. Schiavone talks about Barry Windham calling Brian Pillman a “yellow dog” who is through, Solie doesn’t buy it.
Ron Simmons defeated John Peterson via pinfall with a spinebuster (2:44)
- Peterson makes the mistake of trying to attack Simmons before the bell, Simmons makes him pay with a piledriver on the floor. RUDE.
- Simmons sells the powder from last week’s attack before going back on the offensive, telling the crowd that he’s treating Peterson like he would Teddy Long.
-RINGSIDE INTERVIEW: Schiavone is standing by with Simmons. Simmons says Long and company are going to need more than powder to take him down. Simmons tells One Man Gang to bring everything he’s got because he’s going to need it.
“The Natural” Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Morton vs. “The Computerized Man of the 1990s” Terrence Taylor & “The Enforcer” Arn Anderson [w/ Alexandra York & Mr. Hughes]
Morton with a headlock, Anderson whips him off and drops him with a shoulderblock. Morton with another side headlock, Anderson uses the hair and throws him off, then seats him on the buckles. Morton gets slapped, he responds with a drop toehold and a series of right hands. Morton with more jabs, Anderson rakes the eyes and tosses him out; Morton immediately gets back in and Anderson gets pinballed between the two babyfaces before bailing to the floor. Rhodes tags in and wants Taylor to tag in. Taylor obliges after looking at York’s COM-PEW-TOR. Rhodes fights out of the heel corner with elbows and right hands, all four in the ring, babyfaces clear it out and the crowd goes wild. Taylor backs Rhodes in the corner and connects with a right, Rhodes fires back with a flurry of his own followed by a backdrop and clothesline for the 1…Taylor grabs the bottom rope.
Rhodes tags Morton in, who slows it down with an armbar. Taylor whips him off by the hair and tags Anderson back in. They lock up, Anderson backs Morton into the corner and lays in with lefts, then counters a splash attempt with a knee. Anderson heads to the top, Morton slams him off and locks in the Figure Four! Phantom tag, Rhodes with a Figure Four of his own. Taylor breaks it up with a kick, then tags in and drops Rhodes with a back elbow. Scoop slam, kneedrop, Rhodes kicks out of the lateral press. Rhodes counters a backdrop with a kick and gets back control as Barry Windham shows up at ringside. Windham pulls Morton off the apron, says something inaudibly, and MORTON LEAVES WITH WINDHAM LEAVING RHODES ALONE. Huh?
Back in the ring Rhodes brings Anderson over with a sunset flip, Taylor gets the tag and kicks him from behind. Taylor connects with a spinning neckbreaker, Rhodes gets his shoulder up on the pinfall attempt. Rhodes with a backslide but Anderson tags in and kicks him in the kidneys. Rhodes and Anderson trade fists, Anderson with a drop toe hold and tag, Taylor drops an elbow to the back of the head. “GO DUSTIN GO” chants as Rhodes continues to valiantly attempt to overcome the odds. Rhodes counters a Vader Bomb with a pair of knees and manages to hit the Bulldog, but Anderson breaks up the pin attempt and chokes him until “Beautiful” Bobby Eaton makes the save and the ref calls for the bell.
Terrence Taylor & Arn Anderson defeated Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Morton via DQ (11:05)
- Solid match here, Rhodes looking strong while going it alone and Morton’s sudden departure from the ring creating some intrigue. Was it an emergency or are we going to get a Ricky Morton heel turn? I’d like to see the latter. (***)
Rhodes and Eaton brawl up the aisle with Taylor and Anderson, then Eaton raises Rhodes’ arm in victory despite having lost. Where’s Ricky?!?
Sting defeated Chuck Coats via submission with the Scorpion Death Lock (1:50)
- Coats drops Sting before the bell, but his two bits of offense is not enough to overcome The Stinger and his white hot rage. Nice try, Chuck.
One Man Gang [w/ Teddy Long & Kevin Sullivan] defeated Randy Starr via pinfall with the 747 (2:21)
- Gang wrestles this one with his gimp mask still on, struggling to take it off so he can unleash his full insanity. I actually kind of like this, shows how the mask really controls how intense the Gang wrestles.
-GREEN SCREEN PROMO: Lex Luger admonishes Nikita Koloff for costing he & Sting the Tag Team Titles at SuperBrawl. Luger will continue wrestle all the best contenders, including Koloff.
“The Total Package” Lex Luger defeated Cody Wade via submission with the Torture Rack (1:43)
- Luger high-fives a wrestling buddy at ringside. WHAT A GUY.
- Jim Glover from a trading card company joins the commentary team to hype up the trading card set for WCW. There are TEN Lex Luger cards in this set, apparently. Get the STOMP COLLECTION at a store near you. Or I guess eBay nowadays.
Barry Windham defeated Kenny Kendall via pinfall with the superplex (1:59)
- A guy in a chicken mascot costume shows up to have fun with the folks at ringside. This feels straight out of an 80s territory and I love it.
- Schiavone recaps Windham escorting Ricky Morton to the back earlier in the show, but there’s no answer to why yet.
- POST-MATCH: Chicken Guy attacks Windham, hitting a dropkick and a flying crossbody. Windham bails, confused as to what the f*ck just happened as Chicken Guy celebrates. OH MY GOD ARE WE GETTING A CHICKEN GUY MATCH NEXT WEEK?
“The Rapmaster” PN News defeated Joe Cruz via pinfall with the Broken Record (2:00)
- News continues rapping off-time with the music, but the white people (meaning ME) love it anyway.
- Solie says SOO-PLAY during the replay of the finish, highlight of the week.
-Schiavone and Solie have two questions: why did Ricky Morton leave and who is the Chicken Guy? Replay of the Chicken attack to conclude the episode.
FINAL THOUGHTS: Great episode of Worldwide this week, with a solid tag team match that included an intriguing bail from Ricky Morton and the Chicken Guy attacking Barry Windham. I dug it a lot. This had more personality than their flagship show usually does.