COMMENTATORS: Tony Schiavone & “The Living Legend” Larry Zbyszko
The Yellow Dog teams with The Z-Man to defend his mask against Steve Austin & The Diamond Studd in the main event of this week’s Pro. Also on the show Bill Kazmaier shows off his TOTALLY NATURAL feats of strength, Johnny B. Badd plants a kiss on Larry Zbyszko, and Jack Brickhouse is not informed of the heel turn that happened at The Great American Bash.
- WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: “The Total Package” Lex Luger
- WCW UNITED STATES HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: Vacant
- WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION: “Stunning” Steve Austin
- WCW WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: Vacant
- WCW UNITED STATES TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael “P.S.” Hayes & Jimmy “Jam” Garvin)
- WCW WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: Badstreet & The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael “P.S.” Hayes & Jimmy “Jam” Garvin)
- Ron Simmons vs. Sam Cody
- The Hardliners vs. Sam Houston & Rick Ryder
- BRICKHOUSE BONUS w/ Jack Brickhouse
- LARRY Z’S LEGENDS w/ Larry Zbyszko, Johnny B. Badd, & Theodore R. Long
- PN News vs. Paul Lee
- IN-RING SEGMENT: Bill Kazmaier Lifts Weights
- BOUNTY FOR THE MASK: The Yellow Dog & Tom Zenk vs. Steve Austin & The Diamond Studd (**3/4)
-GAB CLIP: Lex Luger battles Barry Windham for the vacant World Championship. I WONDER WHO WON.
-Schiavone and Zbyszko welcome the home audience from North Avenue Beach in Chicago. This week’s main event will be The Yellow Dog & The Z-Man vs. Steve Austin & The Diamond Studd. Zbyszko mocks the guys playing volleyball behind them for wearing pink.
-GAB CLIP: Lex Luger beats Barry Windham to win the World Championship. Luger cuts a locker room promo later in the night, flanked by new acquaintances Harley Race & Mr. Hughes, declaring this a new era for WCW.
“The All-American” Ron Simmons defeated Sam Cody via pinfall with a spinebuster (2:31)
- INSET PROMO: The Diamond Studd calls Ron Simmons impressive but he’ll go down like the rest thanks to the Diamond Death Drop.
- Sam Cody has a PERFECT crazy mountain man look; he should’ve been part of The Desperados. Remember when The Desperados were supposed to be a thing? JUSTICE FOR DEAD EYE DICK.
-Schiavone & Zbyszko are back at North Avenue Beach to talk about The Hardliners and their attack on Rick Steiner on an episode of World Championship Wrestling.
The Hardliners (“Dirty” Dick Slater & Dick Murdoch) defeated Sam Houston & Rick Ryder when Slater made Ryder submit with an armbar (3:52)
- Houston gets in a little offense against Murdoch, allowing to do more than most do against The Hardliners since he used to be a bigger name (and also his Dad works for the office). Good on him.
-BRICKHOUSE BONUS: Jack Brickhouse congratulates Lex Luger on winning the World Championship at The Great American Bash and names a bunch of heels (AND RIC FLAIR) as possible contenders. I don’t think he saw the PPV, y’all.
-LARRY Z’S LEGENDS: Zbyszko is joined by Johnny B. Badd and Theodore R. Long. Long calls PN News an imposter and will pay for pitting his hands on Badd. Badd says News will pay his dues because he’s a BAAAAAD(D) MAN. Long then vows to take the mask off The Yellow Dog to reveal it’s Brian Pillman…which happened last weekend at The Great American Bash but whatever. Long gives Zbyszko a lipstick sticker and freaks him out. This was legitimately great, Badd & Long kick ass.
“The Rapmaster” PN News defeated Paul Lee via pinfall with the Rap Splash (2:01)
- With Ric Flair gone, Paul Lee is now the true “Nature Boy” of WCW. I expect him to reform The Four Horsemen any day now.
- Zbyszko is REAL disgusted that News has his own initials shaved in his hair. SO WHITE.
Gary Michael Cappetta introduces “The Strongest Man in the World” Bill Kazmaier. Kazmaier, still wearing a Lex Luger shirt, is going to lift some dumbbells to show how strong he is. But first he introduces his “friend” Chad Floyd to lift them and prove they’re real, but he can’t do it. Kazmaier gives it a try and does it with ease multiple times. Kazmaier vows to break some more records during the Great American Bash tour this summer.
BOUNTY FOR THE MASK
The Yellow Dog & “The Z-Man” Tom Zenk vs. “Stunning” Steve Austin [w/ Lady Blossom] & The Diamond Studd [w/ Diamond Dallas Page]
Zenk teamed with Yellow Dog’s bff Brian Pillman in 1990 to a fair bit of success, I wonder if he and Dog will have similar chemistry.
Austin slams Zenk and goes after Dog’s mask, Zenk almost rolls him up for the win. Dog runs in, dropkick and clotheslines to Austin & Studd who take a powder to regroup. Studd clubs Dog with a forearm and goes after the mask, Dog breaks the grasp with a jawbreaker and connects with a dropkick. Dog fights out of the corner but becomes too preoccupied with Austin, allowing Studd to attack from behind. Zenk gets the blind tag, connects with an enzuigiri to the back of Studd’s head. Studd uses the hair to bring Zenk to the mat, Zenk nips up and blocks the next attempt, sending Studd to the canvas. Studd calls for a test of strength and kicks Zenk in the midsection. Austin tags in, Zenk picks him up and Dog connects with a dropkick, Dog slingshots Zenk onto Austin but Studd breaks the count. Blossom distracts the ref, Austin & Studd level Zenk with a double clothesline. DDP helpfully explains what just happened just in case you weren’t paying attention. Austin drives Zenk to the canvas with a short-arm clothesline, Zenk counters a backdrop with a backslide for the 1…2…Studd breaks it up.
Austin slows it down with a chinlock, digging his knee into the spine for extra punishment. Zenk escapes, Austin connects with a knee and tags out to Studd. Dog gets goaded in, Studd throws Zenk over the top behind the ref’s back so there’s no DQ. Austin tags in, Zenk counters a backdrop with a kick and DOG GETS THE HOT TAG. Backdrop to Austin, dropkick to Studd who flies off the apron. Dog connects with a dropkick and heads to the top, flying crossbody for the 1…2…Studd flies in with an elbowdrop to make the save. Zenk dropkicks Studd out to the floor, Studd sends Zenk into the guardrail. Dog clobbers Austin with a clothesline, Studd pushes Dog off the top rope and the ref calls for the bell.
The Yellow Dog & Tom Zenk defeated Steve Austin & The Diamond Studd via DQ (10:23)
- Fun tag team match, I like the nods to the Pillman/Z-Man team from 1990. Makes sense they’d team too, Pillman knows he can trust Zenk so of course he’d ask him to help defend his mask and keep his job. Austin & Studd worked well as a team, Studd got HEIGHT on that elbowdrop that broke the pinfall, dude flew halfway across the ring. The DQ finish seemed a little forced, no one could afford to take the pin here for various reasons, but it is what it is. (**3/4)
Austin & Studd go after the mask, Zenk chases him away and the victors sorta celebrate their win while regaining their composure.
-Schiavone and Zbyszko hype next week’s main event, Yellow Dog vs. Steve Austin, with comments from both men. Back to Zbyszko who calls volleyball a sport for wimps, someone hits a ball in their direction and Schiavone bails like a baby.
-GAB CLIP: Lex Luger poses with the World Championship.