COMMENTATORS: Tony Schiavone & Magnum T.A.
The Yellow Dog fights to keep his mask another day in the main event this week on Worldwide Wrestling, teaming with Dustin Rhodes and Bobby Eaton to take on Barry Windham, Arn Anderson, and The Diamond Studd.
- WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: “The Total Package” Lex Luger
- WCW UNITED STATES HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: Vacant
- WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION: “Stunning” Steve Austin
- WCW WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: Vacant
- WCW UNITED STATES TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael “P.S.” Hayes & Jimmy “Jam” Garvin)
- WCW WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: Badstreet & The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael “P.S.” Hayes & Jimmy “Jam” Garvin)
- Steve Austin vs. Kip Abee
- GAB CLIP: Lex Luger vs. Barry Windham; post-match locker room promo from Luger
- El Gigante vs. Carl Nelson
- Ron Simmons vs. Bob Cook
- VIDEO: Grizzly Smith Makes an Announcement
- Johnny B. Badd vs. Joey Maggs
- BOUNTY FOR THE MASK: The Yellow Dog, Bobby Eaton, & Dustin Rhodes vs. Barry Windham, Arn Anderson, & The Diamond Studd (***)
-Schiavone and Magnum welcome the home audience at ringside. Highlights from The Great American Bash will be shown, main event is a six-man Bounty for the Mask match. The duo talk about Austin’s TV Title win three weeks ago on the show and cut to a clip from his defeat of Bobby Eaton thanks to the nails of Lady Blossom.
“Stunning” Steve Austin [w/ Lady Blossom] defeated Kip Abee via pinfall with a Stun Gun followed by a clothesline (2:42)
- INSET PROMO: Bobby Eaton vows to get his TV Title back.
-GAB CLIP: Lex Luger beats Barry Windham to win the vacant World Championship, aligns himself with Harley Race & Mr. Hughes. Luger, flanked by his new friends, cuts a locker room promo where he proclaims the dawning of a new era.
El Gigante defeated Carl Nelson via pinfall with the Claw (1:31)
- INSET PROMO: El Gigante says…something. I didn’t understand it.
- Gigante’s hair is shorter than it was at the PPV. I know no one cares about continuity but it makes me laugh.
“The All-American” Ron Simmons defeated Bob Cook via pinfall with a flying shoulderblock (3:57)
- INSET PROMO: Diamond Dallas Page calls Ron Simmons a DUD. Apparently Simmons and The Diamond Studd are battling on the Great American Bash Tour. I would like to see those matches. Why did none of y’all fancam WCW in 1991? WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS?
- Cook attacks Simmons from behind at the bell and does get one or two moments of offense, but it’s mostly Simmons who decides to wrestle him a little bit instead of just mauling him. Unfortunate for me and my attention span.
- Schiavone calls Simmons’ flying shoulderblock a “sidewalk slam” which is…puzzling to say the least.
-WCW Board member Grizzly Smith warns The Yellow Dog that if he is indeed unmasked and revealed to be Brian Pillman he will be banned from WCW for life. Did nobody want to give this dude a cup of coffee or something before they started recording?
Johnny B. Badd [w/ Theodore R. Long] defeated “Jumpin” Joey Maggs via the Tutti Frutti (2:35)
- Magnum T.A. is VERY uncomfortable with the flamboyance of Johnny B. Badd and that’s both amusing and embarrassing.
-VIDEO: The WCW Patriots (Firebreaker Chip & Todd Champion) are here with a special message: don’t do drugs. Maybe I wanna though.
BOUNTY FOR THE MASK
The Yellow Dog, “Beautiful” Bobby Eaton, & “The Natural” Dustin Rhodes vs. Barry Windham, “The Enforcer” Arn Anderson, & The Diamond Studd [w/ Diamond Dallas Page]
Windham clubs Dog and goes right for the mask, Dog fights back with rights and a spinning heel kick. Dog lights Windham up with chops and a back bodydrop, followed by a missile dropkick that sends Windham scurrying to his corner. Anderson tags in, Dog fakes him out and connects with another missile dropkick, Anderson scurries to his corner and makes the tag to Studd. Dog mocks Windham by almost taking his own mask off, then makes the tag to Eaton. Studd connects with a right, but Eaton’s right is harder and staggers the big man. Rhodes tags in, Studd grabs a wristlock but Rhodes escapes with elbows and grabs an armbar. Studd backs him into the heel corner, Rhodes quickly escapes to avoid a triple team. Anderson tags in and knocks Eaton to the floor. Rhodes goes to hit him, Anderson “smartly” bails to the floor and Eaton and Dog both get their shots in as the crowd goes wild. A bewildered Anderson tags out to Windham, Rhodes grabs a headscissors but the wily veteran manages to escape and they reset. Rhodes connects with a pair of dropkicks, Windham backs into the face corner and turns into a human pinball. Dog tags in and connects with a flying chop and backdrop. Anderson tags in and slowly enters the ring, trying to cut the momentum. Dog reverses an Irish whip, takes Anderson to the mat with a drop toehold and locks in a Figure Four. Windham runs in, Rhodes puts him in the Figure Four, Studd tags in, and EATON PUTS HIM IN A FIGURE FOUR AS WELL. This is so much fun. Heels escape and bail to the floor, struggling to regroup.
Eaton stalks Anderson back to the floor, Windham catches him with a surprise clothesline and gets sent into the guardrail. Anderson repeatedly stomps Eaton and catapults him throat-first into the bottom rope. Anderson distracts the ref, Windham throws Eaton off the apron and onto the guardrail HELL YEAH. Anderson sends Eaton to the apron with a forearm, Windham tags in and slams Eaton’s face into the mat followed by a kneedrop. Eaton bounces back, connecting with a clothesline and making the HOT TAG to Rhodes. Everyone starts brawling, Rhodes & Windham on the floor (the legal men), Dog rolls Anderson up for the 1…2…3! HEH?
The Yellow Dog, Bobby Eaton, & Dustin Rhodes defeated Barry Windham, Arn Anderson, & The Diamond Studd via pinfall (11:34)
- Tremendously entertaining match with a HOT crowd (organic too, not piped in) that I was all about…until the finish where the non-legal guy pinned the other non-legal guy to get the win. Y’all were SO CLOSE. I won’t dock it too much because ultimately it doesn’t matter and I was into the match before that (Anderson’s bewildered look and his “fall flat on my ass” bump are the best in the business), but that’s still goofy. (***)
Anderson, Windham, & Studd immediately go after Dog and his mask but he manages to escape their grasp and keep his identity secret.
-Schiavone and Magnum hype next week’s show: Steve Austin defends the TV Title against Ron Simmons and Robert Gibson will face Terrence Taylor (and we get pre-recorded comments from both men to boot). Looking forward to it.